A list of 20 high in protein appetizing foods:
- Chicken breast
- Greek yogurt
- Cottage cheese
- Lean beef
- Supplements with Whey protein
- Ezekiel bread
- Turkey breast
- Pumpkin seeds
- All types of fish
- Brussels sprouts
In order to keep your body, functional Protein is one of the most essential nutrients. In every cell of your body protein is an important part because it is required to build tissues, muscles, nails, hair, and skin. It also helps in building enzymes and hormones in your body. It makes up the building blocks of your organs. It is required for the growth of the children as well as the repair and maintenance of tissues.
It has been proved through various studies that one can lose fat on his belly and weight by eating protein. It also helps in improving your strength and muscle mass. You can also fight diabetes and lower your blood pressure by eating protein-rich foods. Most of the fitness and health experts focus on consuming protein because apart from a properly functioning body you need much more.
How much protein should one consume?
According to RDI or Reference Daily Intake, men should consume 56 grams of protein whereas women 46 grams but most of the adults, as well as lactating and pregnant women, should not consume less than 65-gram protein every day. Protein should also be consumed more than recommended by RDI if you want to build muscle mass or you are an athlete. On average the % DV or Daily value of protein that works for most of the people is 50 grams per day. You can compare the daily value of your food with this number.
The consumption of protein by people more than 19 years of age can be calculated at the rate of 0.8 grams per kg weight of the body of the consumer. For instance, 55 grams of protein per day is enough for a person of 68 kg of body weight. You can consume foods that are high in protein if you are protein level in your daily diet is low. Athletes, vegetarians, and healthy adults need not eat high protein foods if they are eating various types of foods containing protein and adequate amounts of calories. To know about the amount of protein required for pregnant women, breastfeeding women, and children you must consult a dietitian. If you are deficient in protein then you must know what foods are the highest in protein so that you can choose from them to keep you healthy and strong.
Some of the foods with the highest protein are briefly discussed here under for your consideration:
- Almonds: Being a popular tree nut almonds are considered as a nut that is rich in a number of nutrients like vitamin E, fibre, magnesium, and manganese. But if you are sensitive to nuts then you should avoid eating almonds to get protein. Almonds provide 15% of the calories required to you. It has been revealed by a trusted source that one ounce of almonds can provide you 164 calories and 6 grams protein.
- Eggs: The most nutritious and healthiest foods available include whole eggs because they are the best source of minerals, vitamins, antioxidants that protect your eyes, nutrients required by your brain, and healthy fats. The level of protein is also high in eggs as white in eggs is purely made of protein. But people allergic to eggs should not eat eggs as well as eggs containing foods. According to trusted sources, in a whole egg the content of protein is about 33% or in other words 78 calories and 6 grams of protein.
- Oats: Among healthiest grains oats are included because they are rich in magnesium, healthy fibres, thiamine, and manganese along with various other nutritional elements. According to trusted sources, the content of protein in oats is 14% of calories that means a cup of oats can provide you 307 calories and 11 grams protein.
- Chicken breast: One of the most popular foods rich in protein is the breast of chicken. You can get most of the calories from the protein you can get by eating a skinless chicken breast. You can make a variety of delicious dishes by cooking breasts easily in many ways. According to trusted sources the content of protein in chicken breast is 75% of the calories provided by it. You can get 284 calories and 53 grams protein from one roasted chicken breast.
- Greek yogurt: A very thick yogurt or strained yogurt is known as Greek yogurt. Due to the high amount of nutrients and its creamy texture it can be eaten with savoury and sweet dishes. So you should buy Greek yogurt without additional sugar because it contains more calories as well as protein if you buy yogurt with full fat. According to trusted sources, protein content in Greek yogurt can be 69% of calories provided by it i.e. 6 ounces of yogurt can provide you 100 calories and 17 grams protein.
- Cottage cheese: This type of cheese is high in protein but low in calories and fat. Along with protein, it is also rich in various other nutrients including phosphorus, calcium, vitamin B12, selenium, and vitamin B2, etc. Other types of high protein cheese include Swiss cheese that provides protein 30% of calories, parmesan cheese 38%, cheddar cheese 26%, and mozzarella cheese 29% of calories. The content of protein in cottage cheese is 69% of calories that means a cup of cottage cheese can give you 163 calories and 28 grams protein.
- Broccoli: Being one of the healthy vegetables broccoli provides vitamin K, vitamin C, potassium, and fiber along with bioactive nutrients that can help you in protecting from the risk of cancer. It is higher in calories and protein than many other vegetables. According to trusted sources, protein content in a cup of chopped broccoli can be 3 grams and calories 31.
- Milk: Almost all the nutrients required to your body are found in the milk. Along with high-quality protein, milk can also provide you phosphorus, vitamin B2, and calcium in abundance. You can also opt for zero fat or low-fat milk if you are worried about the intake of fat by drinking the milk. However, if you cannot tolerate milk or you are allergic to milk then you can experience gastrointestinal problems or allergy symptoms can be severe after consuming milk. So you should avoid drinking dairy milk. Instead, you can opt for plant-based food as an alternative like soy milk, etc. According to trusted sources, the content of protein in the milk is 21% of its calories or a cup of full cream dairy milk can provide you 149 calories and 8-gram protein whereas a cup of soy milk can provide 105 calories and 6.3-grams protein.
- Tuna: It is one of the popularly eaten fish. In a salad, it can be eaten cold, and in various types of baked dishes, it can be eaten hot. It is one of the best sources of protein but it is low in calories and fat. Along with protein, tuna is a good source of a number of nutrients like other types of fish including omega-3 fatty acids, etc. the content of protein in tuna fish is 84% of its calories. A can of tuna fish can provide you nearly 128 calories and 27 grams of protein.
- Lean beef: Along with a high amount of protein, lean beef also provides vitamin B12, bioavailable iron, and other important nutrients in high amounts. It is the best food for people eating a low carb diet. The content of protein in lean beef is 53% of the calories provided by it. A serving of 3 ounce lean beef steaks can provide you 186 calories and 25 grams of protein.
- Supplements with Whey protein: Whey protein supplements are the best choice when you cannot cook protein-rich food due to a short time. The quality of protein provided by these supplements is considered better than dairy products. It can help in losing weight and building muscle mass. You can find a large variety of protein supplements online to try for once. It can provide protein up to 90% of calories i.e. 20-50 grams of protein in every serving.
- Quinoa: It is a popular superfood that is considered as an artificial cereal. It is a good source of minerals, vitamins, antioxidants, and fiber and for this reason, it provides a number of health benefits. Protein found in Quinoa is nearly 15% of calories provided by it. A cup of cooked quinoa can provide you nearly 200 calories and 8 grams of protein.
- Ezekiel bread: Most pieces of bread found in the market are different from this bread. This bread is made of sprouted organic legumes and whole grains such as barley, millet, wheat, spelt, lentils, and soybeans. It is rich in fiber, protein, and a number of other nutrients as compared to most of the other pieces of bread. It can provide protein up to 20% of calories as one slice of this bread can give 80 calories and 4 grams of protein.
- Lentils: The legume of this kind includes magnesium, fiber, iron, potassium, copper, manganese, and folate, along with other nutrients in high amounts. It is the best source of protein derived from plants for vegans and vegetarian people. Some of the protein-rich legumes include kidney beans providing protein 24% of calories, chickpeas 19%, and soybeans 33%. Protein content in lentils can be up to 31% of calories. A cup of boiled lentils can provide you 230 calories and 18 grams of protein.
- Turkey breast: In many ways, it is just like a chicken breast. Most of it is made of protein whereas calories and fat are found very little in it. It is also high in various minerals and vitamins which make it taste delicious. The content of protein in turkey breast is about 82% of calories. A serving of 3-ounce turkey breast can provide 125 calories and 26 grams protein.
- Pumpkin seeds: These are edible seeds of pumpkin which contain several nutrients in high amounts like magnesium, zinc, and iron. Other protein-rich seeds include sunflower seeds with 21% of calories, chia seeds with 11%, and flax seeds with 12% of calories. Protein in pumpkin seeds is 22% of calories. One ounce of pumpkin seeds can provide 158 calories and 9 grams of protein.
- Shrimp: Being a kind of seafood it includes different types of nutrients in high amounts like vitamin B12 and selenium but calories in low amounts. It contains omega-3 fatty acids like various types of fish. The content of protein in shrimp can be almost 9% of calories. A serving of 3 ounces can provide 84 calories and 20 grams of protein.
- All types of fish: Fish is a healthy food due to various reasons. Various types of essential nutrients like omega-3 fatty acids etc. are found in abundance in all types of fish. They also help in keeping your heart healthy. The content of protein is variable in different types of fish as 22% protein is found in salmon fish as in a serving of 3 ounces you can get 173 calories and 19 grams protein.
- Peanuts: Protein, magnesium, and fiber are found in high amounts in peanuts. They can help in reducing body weight when eaten moderately as they are high not only in protein but also in calories. If you are sensitive to nuts then you should avoid eating peanuts. The content of protein in peanuts is 18% of calories. One ounce of peanuts can provide you 162 calories and 7 grams of protein.
- Brussels sprouts: Like broccoli, it is another vegetable that is high in protein. They are also high in vitamin C and fiber along with other nutrients. They contain protein 28% of calories provided by them as a half cup of Brussels sprouts can provide 28 calories and 2 grams of protein.
What foods are the highest in protein?
Thus, after knowing what foods are the highest in protein you can make your diet healthy by including various types of foods with the highest protein. Plant-based foods can be the best choice for you as they include saturated fats in lesser amounts and fiber higher than other protein-rich foods. Such foods can also be beneficial for the health of your heart. You can also include legumes, seeds, and nuts as well as fish in your routine diet to make it healthier for you. A high amount of protein in your food can help in repairing and maintaining the tissues in your body along with losing weight.
RELATED PROTEIN RESOURCES
Protein Rich Snacks – High Protein Snacks That Are Healthy and Portable
Protein Foods – Sources of Dietary Protein and Protein Rich Foods
Protein Avocado – Proven Health Benefits of Avocado
What are Examples of Protein Foods?
Are Potatoes High in Protein?
Is Rice a Protein or Carb?
Protein Lentils – Nutrition, Benefits and How to Cook Them
Is Banana Full of Protein?
Protein High Foods – Protein List of Delicious High Protein Foods to Eat
Which is Best Protein Food?
TOP 20 High Protein Snacks That Are Healthy Filling Snack Ideas
Protein Egg – How Much Protein in an Egg?
Protein Fruits – Which Fruit has Most Protein?